Chinese New Year and the Lunar New Year are a big deal in Vancouver! This multicultural city goes all out to celebrate the beginning of the second new moon after the winter solstice and ending on the full moon that's 15 days later. Here are some of the best ways to ring in the Year of the Pig this February.
1. The Big Parade: Making its way through the heart of Chinatown since 1979, the Vancouver Chinese New Year Parade is a high-energy celebration that draws hundreds of thousands of people. The parade features the largest assembly of traditional lion dancers in Canada as well as cultural dance troupes, marching bands and martial arts. Parade begins at the Millennium Gate on Pender Street on Sunday, February 10 at 11 AM.
2. Tinseltown Extravaganza: The festivities at International Village, aka "Tinseltown", include craft tables, dancers and a heritage village. It's in the heart of historic Chinatown. Friday, February 8 through Sunday, February 10, 88 West Pender Street. Details here.
3. Soar over China: Maybe you can't fly to China, but you can soar over China! Flight of the Dragon is back at FlyOver Canada for a limited time! During this special feature, follow a mythical dragon as it soars over some of China’s most spectacular landscapes and scenery—including the Great Wall of China, Zhangjiajie National Forest Park, the city of Shanghai and more. Runs January 24 through February 24.
4. An Intro to Chinese Music: The Vancouver Symphony Orchestra presents Lunch in China: An Intro to Chinese Instruments, which allows you to get up close with VSO musicians including Qiu Xia He, Nicole Li and Zhongxi Wu who will describe and play three families of Chinese instruments: reed, plucked and bowed. The event includes a lunch of Chinese musical tapas. Sunday, February 3 at 12:30 PM at Willms Salon.
5. A Wok Around Chinatown: Dig a bit deeper into Chinese cuisine and the plethora of wonders in the Chinatown market on a tour with chef Robert Sung, a third generation Chinese Canadian. His tours explore culinary and cultural elements (including a dim sum lunch) and run daily at 10 AM.
Don't miss your chance to see Flight of the Dragon at FlyOver Canada on January 24 until February 24, 2019! Reserve your spot now.