There's no denying it—Vancouver can be a rainy place. On average, it rains more than 150 days each year here. But don't fret! Vancouverites have learned to embrace the rain. After all, it makes all the natural beauty that surrounds us possible. It makes Vancouver the shining, stunning place it is.
Thanks to the rain, we have spectacular forests and an abundance of blooms. We have a great cafe culture, superb arts scene and one of the world's finest selections of umbrellas.
If you're in Vancouver on a rainy day, here are some of top things to do:
1. Vancouver Aquarium: Get up close and personal with our marine environment at this world-class facility in Stanley Park. Stick your hand in a tidal pool, meet 22 species of reptiles and be mesmerized by walls of jellyfish. Bring your umbrella so you can take in the outdoor exhibits—the sea otters and sea lions are playing, rain or shine!
2. FlyOver Canada: The weather outside has nothing on the wonder inside at this incredible flight-ride! Make your way to Canada Place on Vancouver's Harbour to soar across some of Canada's most stunning landscapes and be filled with pride and wonder.
3. Museums: There are many to chose from, including the Maritime Museum, the Police Museum and even Science World. Vancouver's outstanding Museum of Anthropology (pictured), located at the University of British Columbia (UBC), celebrates the rich heritage and culture of BC's west coast. It's truly unique.
4. Granville Island: From fresh fruit and artisan cheese to handicrafts and imported wares, there's so much to taste, browse and buy at the iconic indoor market located on False Creek. The best time to come to Granville Island is when you have lots of time to enjoy every twist and turn!
5. Walk in the Rainforest: Embrace the lushness with a stroll under the forest canopy. Walk under the cover of red cedar, hemlock and Douglas fir trees around Beaver Lake in Stanley Park or at Pacific Spirit Park at UBC. Or head over the Lion's Gate Bridge to hike in Lynn Canyon.
6. Drink good coffee: This city loves its java. Maybe it's because of (or due to) the weather, but it seems there's a fun and unique place to sip a flat white or toss back a cortado just about everywhere you look. Check out our list of our favourite places for coffee in Vancouver.
So get out there and embrace the rain, Vancouver-style. Just don't forget your umbrella!